Coronavirus live news: Fauci says Americans may still be wearing masks in 2022; UK records 215 deaths
- Exclusive: Hancock’s ex-neighbour investigated by UK medical regulator
- UK: changing events could put brakes on recovery roadmap, says minister
- Israel’s use of Covid vaccines in prisoner swap deal sparks row
- Scientists say clinical trials for ‘variant-proof’ vaccines could start soon
- See all our coronavirus coverage
There have been a further 9,834 lab-confirmed coronavirus cases in the UK, according to government data – a fall from last Sunday’s figure of 10,972.
A total of 4,115,509 people have tested positive.
India’s western Maharashtra state, home to the country’s financial hub Mumbai, is imposing new coronavirus restrictions in four districts, amid concerns about a second wave and slow vaccine rollout.
India, with a population of about 1.4 billion, has reported 10.9 million confirmed coronavirus infections, the world’s second highest after the United States, and 156,212 deaths. It has vaccinated about 11 million people since mid-January.
As the number of cases has risen in recent days, India’s health ministry has asked several states to expand testing and surveillance, including Maharashtra, which has about 112 million people and accounts for about 16% of India’s economic output.