William ‘shocked and sad at Harry’s “insulting” response to Queen over Megxit’

Harry and Meghan. Prince William. Prince William is said to be upset over Harry and Meghan's 'insulting' response to the Queen about service.
Prince William thinks his brother’s response was ‘insulting and disrespectful’, a source said (Pictures: AP/PA)

Prince William is said to be ‘really sad and genuinely shocked’ at the Sussexes’ ‘petulant and insulting’ response to the Queen, reports say.

The 94-year-old monarch removed the couple’s royal patronages along with Prince Harry’s honorary military titles on Friday, nearly a year after they stepped down as working royals. 

Announcing the decision, Buckingham Palace released this statement: ‘In stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service’.

A spokesperson for Harry and Meghan later said they would continue to support ‘the organisations they have represented regardless of official role. We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.’ 

Sources have since told The Sunday Times that William believes this was ‘insulting and disrespectful’ to The Queen. 

The same source who called the Sussexes’ response ‘petulant and insulting’ spoke directly to the Duke and said: ‘Don’t disrespect your granny, Harry.’

Another said: ‘You don’t answer the Queen back — it’s just not done.’

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, Britain's Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, Britain's Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, stand on the balcony of Buckingham Palace to watch a military fly-past to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force (RAF). Prince William is said to be upset over Harry and Meghan's 'insulting' response to the Queen about service.
The Queen announced the couple would be stripped of their royal patronages on Friday (Picture: Getty Images)
Harry and Meghan. Prince William. Prince William is said to be upset over Harry and Meghan's 'insulting' response to the Queen about service.
The Sussexes issued a statement back to The Queen saying ‘service is universal’ (Picture: AP)

But Dean Scott, a former Special Forces soldier who has been friends with Harry for 12 years, previously said the couple’s comment had been taken out of context.

He claims their remark that ‘service is universal’ should be taken within the context of their charity work. 

‘They’re very much a modern couple and like to do things differently so they see that they can still do a service but in their own way,’ Mr Scott told Radio 4’s Today Programme.

An aide also told The Sunday Times that William was left missing his brother after he ‘got over the anger of how things happened’. 

‘They had shared everything about their lives — an office, a foundation, meetings together most days — and there was a lot of fun along the way. He’ll miss it forever,’ the aide said. 

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge watch a flypast to mark the centenary of the Royal Air Force from the balcony of Buckingham Palace. Prince William is said to be upset over Harry and Meghan's 'insulting' response to the Queen about service.
A source said Prince William missed sharing his life with Prince Harry (Picture: Getty Images)
Oprah Winfrey speaks onstage during Oprah's SuperSoul Conversations at PlayStation Theater. Prince William is said to be upset over Harry and Meghan's 'insulting' response to the Queen about service.
The couple have recently filmed an interview with Oprah (Picture: Getty Images)

The Queen’s announcement marked the end of a year-long trial of The Sussexes stepping back from royal duties, dubbed ‘Megxit’.

It comes just before the couple filmed an interview with Oprah which is expected to be broadcast on March 7

A source said last night the interview was the ‘loudest way’ for the duchess to ‘get her voice back’. 

A different source told The Times: ‘When they first started dating Meghan felt she had lost her voice. She had had a platform as a moderately successful actress, and when she was told to stop using her social media and be careful what she said, I could tell that loss of voice and independence pained her.’

Metro.co.uk has contacted The Sussexes for comment.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. 

For more stories like this, check our news page.