US Senate hears testimony on Capitol riot: ‘These criminals came prepared for war’ – live
- Senate hears witness testimony from law enforcement officers
- Joe and Jill Biden to travel to Texas on Friday
- DC police chief was ‘surprised’ by reluctance to deploy National Guard
- AOC criticizes Manchin over targeting of Biden’s nominees of color
- US coronavirus death toll passes 500,000
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
The Senate has confirmed Tom Vilsack to be the next secretary of agriculture, in a vote of 92 to 7.
Confirmed, 92-7: Executive Calendar #7 Thomas J. Vilsack to be Secretary of Agriculture @USDA
Deb Haaland, seeking to make history as the first Native American to hold a cabinet secretary position in the US, weathered a torrent of hostile questioning from Republicans during her confirmation hearing as secretary of the interior.
In a striking opening statement, Haaland, a member of Congress for New Mexico, said “the historic nature of my confirmation is not lost on me, but I will say that it is not about me”, adding that she hoped her elevation would “be an inspiration for Americans, moving forward together as one nation and creating opportunities for all of us”.